UEBT certification assures that natural ingredients are sourced with respect for people and biodiversity. It attests compliance with the UEBT Ethical BioTrade Standard. The standard requires the conservation of biodiversity in the sourcing area and support of provider communities through equitable prices and local projects.
UEBT offers its members the following certification possibilities:
- UEBT Ethical BioTrade Certification for natural ingredients. No on-product UEBT label is available.
- UEBT/UTZ certification for ingredients used for herbal teas, which allows for the use of the UTZ label on herbal tea packaging.
Companies that wish to certify natural ingredients need to comply with specific certification protocols and checklists.
Requirements include annual audits by Certification Bodies of companies’ internal management systems for certified natural ingredients, and regular audits of local supplier communities. These requirements are in addition to the UEBT membership requirements.
UEBT offers different assurance models to demonstrate compliance of ingredients with the Ethical BioTrade standard.
Some of the options include:
- Different supply chain actors can become UEBT Certificate Holder. The Certificate Holder is responsible for the implementation of the UEBT requirements.
- UEBT requirements can be integrated in company standards and supplier assurance programs. In this case UEBT together with external Certification Bodies checks that the company standards and assurance program complies with the UEBT requirements.
- Certificate Holders can undertake supplier audits through company auditors or external Certification Bodies. If company auditors are used, external Certification Bodies will conduct random check to assure the quality of audits.
Please contact UEBT to see which approach best suits your company, or consult the UEBT certification protocols.
The certification protocols, checklists and claims policies are available on our resources page.
Current certificate holders
|Member||Certification protocol||Start date||End date|
|Martin Bauer||Certification Protocol for UEBT/UTZ Certified Herbal Tea||15 Mar 2016||3 Feb 2017|
|Natura||UEBT Certification protocol||24 Mar 2016||23 Mar 2017|
|Symrise Brazil||UEBT Certification protocol||24 Mar 2016||23 Mar 2017|
|Novel Dev. Tanzania||UEBT Certification protocol||12 Jun 2015||31 Dec 2016|
Withdrawn and rescinded certificates
|Member||Certificate protocol||Start date||End date|