VACANCY – Project Officer, Business & Biodiversity Policy Implementation
The Union for Ethical Biotrade (UEBT) is a non-profit, international association that promotes the “Sourcing with Respect” of ingredients that come from biodiversity. Our members, which include companies working in the food and cosmetics sectors around the world, commit to gradually ensuring that their sourcing practices promote the conservation of biodiversity, respect traditional knowledge and assure the equitable sharing of benefits all along the supply chain.
UEBT has a small and accomplished team in offices in Brazil and the Netherlands. For the office in the Netherlands, located in one of Amsterdam’s central canals, UEBT is looking to hire a Project Officer on Business & Biodiversity Policy Implementation. The Project Officer, with educational background and practical experience on the link between business and biodiversity policy, will work closely with other UEBT staff to provide support to companies developing systems and procedures on issues such as community engagement, contribution to local development and access and benefit sharing (ABS).
– Conducting research on biodiversity policy issues relevant for the work of UEBT and UEBT members and partners,
– Preparing training materials for UEBT members and partners on biodiversity policy issues;
– Developing tools for practical implementation of the UEBT standard on the ethical sourcing of biodiversity;
– Organizing meetings and workshops on these issues, as well as writing related outreach and communication material; and
– Providing other support for the work of UEBT members and partners on ethical sourcing practices.
– Advanced university degree on legal and/or policy aspects of sustainability, preferably with a focus on biodiversity;
– At least three years practical experience in areas such as community engagement and ABS, preferably with or within companies working with biodiversity;
– Excellent communication skills in English and Spanish; knowledge of Portuguese and French is an advantage.
– Strong responsibility, self-motivation, focus on results, and the ability to manage diverse and concurrent tasks; and
– Legal authorization to work in the Netherlands.
UEBT offers a challenging position on sustainability topics of great timeliness and potential, in a dynamic and international work environment. This position requires occasional international travel. The first contract will be for six months, with the intention to extend and continuing to work together. Starting date will be ASAP.
Please send your application, including CV and motivation letter, to [email protected] before 5 September 2012, mentioning Project Officer – Business & Biodiversity in the subject line.